I’ve decided to interrupt my mini-series on Islam to write a little about the Coldplay show last night (you can read the Free Press review here, and the Sun review here). I don’t have a lot of time, so here’s a list of some of the highlights for me:
– Turns out Fix You is actually a good song. Funny how some songs just need to be played live before they click for me. Still not crazy about the song Viva la Vida, though it is much better live than it is on CD.
– Chris Martin doesn’t take himself too seriously. I like that.
– I was happy to see that the band mostly played songs from A Rush of Blood to the Head and Viva la Vida. Those are easily their best albums (actually, the Viva la Vida album alone is better than their previous three records combined).
– Homemade band outfits are cool.
– Overpriced merch is not. My brother brought $30 for a t-shirt but went home empty-handed.
– Glass of Water rocks. If you don’t have the Prospekt’s March EP already, what’s taking you so long?
– My $65 seat was just as good as my brother’s $95 seat.
– Excellent video work on the big screens. It looked pro and wasn’t too distracting or flashy (although I still spent most of the time watching the stage).
– Will Champion should sing lead more often.
– Thanks for the free CD guys!
2. Violet Hill
4. In My Place
6. Glass of Water
7. Cemeteries of London
9. Fix You
10. Strawberry Swing
11. God Put a Smile Upon Your Face / Talk
12. The Hardest Part / Postcards From Far Away
13. Viva la Vida
15. Green Eyes
16. Death Will Never Conquer
17. I’m a Believer
19. Lovers in Japan
20. Death and All His Friends
21. The Scientist
22. Life in Technicolor ii